Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Wake Up!!

*Chris rolls over, looks at the clock*

Nice... 7:22. Sleeping in is swee--- wait... what?? 7:22?!?! 

"Emma. EMMA!! Wake up!! The bus will be here in ten minutes!!"

So, that's how my morning started. Like a predictable sitcom plot. The mom (my wife) is out of town on a business trip leaving the dad (me) in charge. The dad is an incompetent but lovable oaf and things go hilariously off track. My daughter jumps out of bed, throws on some clothes and gathers her school things. I scramble downstairs and pack her a lunch. Throw in the fact that I'm hopping around on one foot, and you can't cue up the laugh track fast enough. 

Now in my defense, I've got the afternoon routine down pat -- homework, snack, soccer practice, swim practice, dinner, reading, bedtime -- because I'm home in the afternoon. I'm at work in the morning, so that routine is a bit of a mystery to me.   

So what went wrong? There's plenty of blame to go around.
--Blame my son. Okay, maybe I shouldn't throw my seven-year-old under the blame bus, but I was counting on him to be our alarm clock. He always gets up early. In fact, he did get up early this morning -- he was in my bed at 5:00. But he fell back asleep.
--Blame the cable. Something's going on with the cable box in our bedroom. Some of the channels aren't working -- important channels, like Disney Channel. So when my son couldn't watch "Phineas and Ferb" this morning, we turned off the TV and that's why he (we) fell back asleep.
--Blame my daughter. You know, she does have an alarm clock.
--Blame myself. I am supposed to be the adult here.
--Blame Tuesday. If you follow me on Twitter, you know I'm no fan of Tuesday. It's the worst day of the week (#BlameTuesday). By the way, if you don't follow me on Twitter, you need to rethink your social media decisions...

Of course it all worked out in the end. My daughter got up, got dressed and got on her bus with a packed lunch in hand. It always works out in those sitcoms...

Today's Title: We were supposed to wake up at six o'clock

No comments:

Post a Comment