Friday, September 2, 2011

September

Happy New Year!

I know, I know.. just because I took a month off from blogging, doesn't mean it's a new year. But, I've always seen September as the real beginning of the year. I'll explain that in a moment. In fact, I meant to post this yesterday. But first...

I've been a little busy. Oh, and I haven't had power at home all week. But a lot of us in Connecticut have been in that position. Hopefully by the time you click on that link, things will be back online. I think being in the dark (literally, not figuratively) helped me do my job this week. I'm lucky, my house wasn't destroyed. It wasn't even damaged. But as the week wore on, I could certainly feel the frustration of the hundreds-of-thousands without power in the state. Let's hope we don't have to go through this again.

Now back to the regularly scheduled blog post..

When you're a kid, the beginning of the school year - usually around Labor Day - was how you learn to measure a year. You're in third grade now. You're starting Middle School. You're a High School Freshman. For some reason, that mentality has always stuck with me. September means the end of summer vacations and new beginnings. The new television season starts. (At least the traditional network television season.) Football season begins. And Pumpkin Spice Lattes and muffins are back at Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts. Doesn't that just scream new year to you?

Anyhow, in that spirit, I'm wishing you a Happy New Year -- whether or not you subscribe to the school calendar theory or not. And speaking of new beginnings, my New Year's Resolution is to post on my blog more frequently. Maybe just a paragraph or two... maybe just a picture or two. But I'm going to use this space better.

And thanks, as always, for reading.

Today's Title: The Earth, Wind and Fire classic

2 comments:

  1. Chris, September has been my favorite month for a long time. Obviously, we've been out of school for a while, but from all those years of starting school in September, it just becomes easy to associate this time of year with new beginnings. And now that I'm actually in school again, there's even more of a chance to do that.

    Now, I'm off to Starbucks because of this post. By the way, try a pumpkin ale from Shipyard. A fall New England must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a pumpkin latte to start the day... a pumpkin ale to finish it!

    ReplyDelete