Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Power

Six days without power was long enough. I know others were without electricity for longer, after Tropical Storm Irene. I know others got it back within a day. I know some never lost it. I also know some people lost their homes. With that in mind, I know it could've been worse.

We got our power back late Friday night. And it's true what they say -- you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. We take so much for granted, no doubt. The trick is appreciating it a little more after you get it back.

So, I'm going to try to focus on what I've learned in the last week. For example, I don't always need to turn on a light every time I walk into a room. Quiet - no TV or music - is quite nice. And my kids actually can play with their toys together without killing each other. Most of the time. They don't need television or Wii or anything else that needs to be plugged in. I really hope that lesson sticks with my family.

Perhaps once a month, we should have a 'no power day'... just as reminder to be a little more thankful for some of the things that are so easy to take for granted.


Today's Title: Some guys rockin' the fade -- 1990 style.

No comments:

Post a Comment