Friday, July 22, 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want

You can't always get what you want. That's a hard lesson for children to learn. It's why you'll often hear frustrated parents tell their kids, "You get what you get and you don't get upset." That's the more poetic, polite and kid-friendly way of saying, "Suck it up and deal!"

These days, it seems like there are a bunch of adults who need a reminder of that life lesson. I'm talking to you President Obama and Congressional Leaders. I'm talking to you Governor Malloy and Connecticut State Employee Unions. I'm talking to you NFL Owners and Players.

I'm don't want to get political... I don't want to take sides -- I just want everyone to work together here. My wife compares the fighting to our kids bickering over what TV show they want to watch before bed. One wants "Jake and the Neverland Pirates"... the other wants "Phineas and Ferb" -- mom and dad are seconds away from saying, "Go to bed... you're not watching anything!"

I'm all for standing up for your beliefs... for fighting for the best possible results. I can't imagine where we'd be if people didn't do that. But there comes a time when you have to go back what you learned in kindergarten and come up with a compromise. You may not be happy... they may not be happy.. but you get what you get and you don't get upset suck it up and deal!

Today's title: Take it from Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment