Monday, February 28, 2011

We Are Who We Are

  I was having a conversation with a friend at work the other day about drawing the line between the "professional" and the "personal" online. (Actually, it wasn't as much a conversation as it was a series of emails, but that could be another topic for another time.) Our conclusion -- it's nearly impossible. And that may not be all bad.

  We are who we are -- and social media allows us to share that. These days, it seems even big corporations are trying to be more human. They've got facebook pages and twitter accounts. They're listening and responding. They're building their brands by connecting with their customers.

  Individually, we're all doing the same thing. It sounds so impersonal -- building a brand -- but that's what it is. The truth is, you can make it as personal as you're comfortable with. When I'm on television, I'm me -- I'm not playing some anchorman character. I talk about my family, my favorite teams, my love of coffee, etc. I react to things, like the human that I am. When I'm at the grocery store, I'm me. So when I'm online, I'm me. It's all I know how to be.

  Of course, that's not to say there are no limits. There are limits. But they are different for everyone. And it may take some time to figure out what works for you and what doesn't. It's a work in progress -- but, isn't everything in life.

Today's title: The wisdom (haha!) of Ke$ha

  
  

  


No comments:

Post a Comment