Friday, March 11, 2011

Natural Disaster

I was all set to write something about the Big East Tournament today... about UConn playing my alma mater, Syracuse. But writing a blog post about that, just doesn't feel right, right now.

I walked into the newsroom at 3:30 this morning, and the televisions were tuned to CNN, ABC and other the networks, as usual. But instead of their usual overnight, "laid back" approach to the news of the day, they were all in "breaking news" mode -- covering the developing story of the earthquake in Japan. The pictures are both heartbreaking and hard to understand. The latter, because the images just don't look real.

We are only just beginning to get a sense of the scope of the devastation in Japan. It's frightening to think about how significant it will be.

Life goes on, of course. They'll play basketball tonight at Madison Square Garden -- and I'll be watching, and rooting on the Orange. Someone will do another dumb story about Charlie Sheen. But the least we can do today is keep all those many people affected by that natural disaster in our thoughts...

Today's Title: A pensive, peaceful tune

1 comment:

  1. Sorry they lost Chris! (I know you went into "blackout" mode so I know I'm not ruining that for you). But you're right, nothing is so important in comparison to what happened in Japan. When I look out my window and see the peacefulness, I just can't comprehend the devastating images I see on tv from the other side of the world. And you're right, it wasn't a Charlie Sheen-less day.

    ReplyDelete