Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hero

The first time I saw Alye Pollack's video, I cried. I'm not talking 'choked up' crying -- there were full-on tears. I'm not ashamed to admit that.


The video made me sad -- made me cry -- because it made me feel for Alye. No one should be called some of the things she says people have called her.



But, perhaps more than that, the video made me sad -- made me cry -- because I thought about my own six-and-a-half year old daughter. I know, as a dad, there's only so much I can do to protect her. I know growing up can be tough. I know kids can be mean. I want to give her the tools to be confident, strong and safe.
 
The 13-year old from Westport, CT used a crayon to scribble her anti-bullying message on some paper. She posted her homemade video on YouTube on March 14th. The views have sky-rocketed ever since. It has gone -- as they say -- viral. There have been thousands of supportive comments -- from all over the world. There are negative comments too... there are always negative comments.

I got a chance to interview Alye this week (here's the story), and I was impressed with her. I think she's gonna be just fine. She's amazed her video is getting the kind of attention it's getting -- she thought it would get "maybe 200 views." And she's glad it's making a difference. She says people are treating each other better at her school. I hope that lasts.

Most important, I asked Alye if she's more hopeful today than she was when she made the video. She said she is. So am I.

Today's title: A song about bullying

No comments:

Post a Comment