Tuesday, September 30, 2014

So Far, So Good

Well, that wasn't so bad. I mean, what do I know... I was sleeping the whole time. But so far, so good.

I had my ACL replacement surgery this morning. And the hardest part was being unable to eat or drink anything prior to surgery. No water -- and I was really thirsty. No coffee -- and, well, I'm me. Have you met me?

I'm what the nurses called "an O-R virgin." Somehow, I've managed to avoid any broken bones, severe sprains or anything else that would require me to be admitted to a hospital. So this was my first time getting general anesthesia. The pre-op nurses were great -- making sure I knew what was happening, answering my questions and ensuring the surgeon would be cutting into the right correct knee. My post-op nurse was wonderful too. I remember talking to the nurses, meeting with the surgeon and walking into the operating room, noticing how bright it was and... yeah, that's about it.

So what now? I'm not exactly comfortable, but in any pain. I'm sure the femoral nerve block which hasn't worn off -- basically feels like Novocaine for the leg -- is largely responsible for that. And the pain meds, which EVERYONE has told me to be sure I take. I'm not a big fan of taking pain meds, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Stay ahead of it!" in the last few days. So, I will. I'm also hooked up to my constant companion, my new best friend -- this machine which pumps cold water and compression into pads wrapped around my knee, under the full leg immobilizer. 
           
And guys, let me just say my wife is awesome. Today hasn't just been surgery day -- it's also our 14th wedding anniversary. It's "Anniversasurgery" day. She's spent the day moving furniture around to set up the "Recovery Zone" -- I've got the ice machine, smart phones, a laptop, Playstation, books, magazines and TVs all within arms reach. There's even a window! I can't possibly get bored, can I? Stay tuned...

Today's Title: Song from a 1986 movie soundtrack that feels like it's from a 1986 movie soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment