Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Do Nothing Day

Man, it's been awhile since I posted here. I've wanted to, but I've been busy. Not so much busy doing stuff, as busy trying to finish what I'm doing so I can go do the next thing I have to do. Do you know what I mean?


As I've discussed here before, my days are long. I've got a lot of waking hours to do a lot of things. And honestly, I consider myself lucky -- because of my schedule, I get to spend a lot of "Daddy Time" with my kids. Here's the problem. I often have a hard time slowing things down and enjoying that time as much as I should. I'm usually thinking about what else I could/should be doing, or what I have to do later. I guess it's kind of a Buddhism thing to focus on one thing at a time -- easier said than done.

To some degree, I blame my career choice. It's a very deadline-oriented business. You've got to multitask; you've always got to be thinking about what comes next. And it's hard to leave that type of mindset behind, when you leave work. 

Multitasking is a handy skill. But sometimes I just want to enjoy the moment, and not see my life as the appointment calendar on my cellphone. When I do get an opportunity for a "Do Nothing Day" -- a night out with my wife or an afternoon with the family, an hour goes by like it's a thirty seconds.

When I was a kid, the lazy days of summer we're endless. As an adult, that doesn't happen. And I know my kids will be in high school and college in the blink of an eye. I don't want to rush it -- I want to enjoy every moment. Well, almost every moment. So.. how 'bout a little help from my friends. Any advice for slowing things down.. living in and appreciating the now.. and not always worrying about what comes next.?


Today's Title: A slow down, take it easy song from my kids' favorite cartoon

1 comment:

  1. For me, Chris, it is very simple. Even with the chaos of life, you have to just enjoy the minutes as fleeting as they are. It is very difficult to do right now with your kids as young as they are, so just take the moments you can get with your wife, children, and other family, and enjoy them as fully as you can. Focus on those moments, and soon you will find even if they are fleeting, they ARE the most memorable!

    ReplyDelete